Holistic modalities can help you cope with various stressors and improve your health. Among these natural healing methods, which you can do in the comfort of your own home, is through the power of essential oils for energy.
Essential oils contain natural aromatic compounds that help relieve stress, improve mental capacity, and boost energy levels. Every essential oil is holistic in a sense that it has a variety of mental, emotional, physical and spiritual benefits.
Here on Aroma Foundry, we provide powerful essential oils that can improve your overall health and lifestyle. Each of our essential oils is guaranteed to be pure, all-natural, and efficacious.
We did a side-by-side comparison with two of the world's biggest essential oil brands.
The Best Essential Oils for Energy
Here’s a list of the best essential oils for boosting your mood and energy level.
In this guide, we feature six essential oils that can help improve energy levels naturally. The following essential oils have holistic therapeutic effects for the mind and body. These can help combat stress and enhance energy for you to succeed in life’s daily challenges.
1. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil has a stimulating, invigorating and refreshing aroma that will uplift you. Other than that, however, it can also help improve cognitive function and brain health. If you need something to bring yourself back to an energetic state, use rosemary essential oil aromatically or topically.
The Science of Rosemary Essential Oil
The essential oil also supports circulation, improves the immune system, relieves exhaustion, and lowers stress levels. All these can help you feel more energetic, or at least feel like you're up to tackling new tasks or even learning new things.
Rosemary oil also helps improve your mood and memory, which is why researchers have studied it for its brain boosting benefits.
Additionally, rosemary oil can help decrease stress and its effects. A study released in 2007 confirmed that inhaling rosemary for five minutes reduced cortisol in the body, thus decreasing the chances of experiencing chronic stress. The aromatherapeutic effect of rosemary can also increase alertness, which help you become more productive in your work or studies.
Using Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary oil is often used in aromatherapy, but it can be enjoyed in other ways as well. For example, it can work very well when used as an ingredient in soap-making. You can also benefit from rosemary oil when you include it in a massage oil blend.
The following essential oils can blend well with rosemary essential oil:
- Tea tree
- Ylang ylang
Learn more about rosemary essential oil benefits.
Learn more about the essential oils that blend well with rosemary essential oil:
- Citronella Essential Oil: Uses, Benefits, Precautions, and More
- The Many Uses and Benefits of Sage Essential Oil
- Basil Essential Oil: Benefits and Uses for Holistic Health
Lemon essential oil is highly versatile and effective in a variety of ways. Its fresh and bright aroma alone is already a must-have, but it is also cleansing, rejuvenating, and can be used in a a variety of blends and projects.
Because it is refreshing and rejuvenating, lemon oil can help you feel more awake and rejuvenated. It can also help you maintain both physical and mental health so you can keep going no matter what.
The Science of Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon is widely used to stimulate lymph drainage and rejuvenate energy. Breathing the scent of lemon essential oil also improves neurological activity that breaks down body fat. Lemon oil has calming properties that can be effective in relieving exhaustion, mental fatigue, dizziness, nervousness, anxiety and tension.
The major component of lemon essential oil is limonene, a compound that lends lemon essential oil its strong and distinctive scent. Furthermore, limonene has a variety of health benefits, including antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
Lemon oil can thus help you remain healthy, which allows you to have enough energy for various day-to-day tasks.
Using Lemon Essential Oil
Go for lemon essential oil whenever you need to refresh your mind and eliminate negativity. If your office is filled with stressed out workers, energy-boosting essential oils can be helpful. Use lemon essential oil as a space refresher on your work area to increase concentration, alertness, and efficiency.
The following essential oils blend well with lemon essential oil:
- Ylang ylang
Learn more about lemon essential oil benefits.
Tangerine essential oil is sweet-smelling and fresh, much like the peel of a tangerine fruit itself. It is highly concentrated, like any other cold-pressed citrus essential oil. It also has a lot of health benefits, not the least of which is its ability to help replenish energy.
The Science of Tangerine Essential Oil
The tonic and stomachic properties of tangerine oil can help boost metabolism. It supports the entire process of digestion by stimulating the flow of digestive juices, aiding in the absorption of essential nutrients.
Metabolism is an important part of the digestive process. It basically takes food and converts it to the energy we need and use.
It is also highly regarded as an aid for detoxification, which is the first step in purifying the body. It then leads to strengthening the immune system, improving mental clarity, and nurturing overall health.
Using Tangerine Essential Oil
Just like its citrus cousins, tangerine is known to uplift a person’s mood. It is also said to impact individual creativity. So whenever you feel stuck, overwhelmed, heavy-hearted, depressed, cranky or overworked, diffuse this tangerine essential oil in your room or office for that instant pick-me-up!
Tangerine essential oil blends well with these essential oils:
Learn more about tangerine essential oil benefits.
Grapefruit essential oil is just as efficacious as the fruit it is extracted from. The flesh of the fruit makes for a great snack, but the essential oil extracted from the peel is full of beneficial compounds.
Citrus essential oils are extracted from citrus fruit peels via mechanical compression. These essential oils are highly concentrated and can thus be very effective even when you use miniscule amounts.
The Science of Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit is rich in folate, which boosts energy levels and improve mental capacity. The fruit is also known to increase metabolism, burn fat, reduce bad cholesterol, and nourish your body with vitamins. Aromatically, grapefruit essential oil helps relieve adrenal fatigue, which is a common factor in feeling constantly lethargic.
Additionally, it stimulates the nervous system, making you more alert and focused. It also improves blood and lymphatic circulation, which removes toxins, supplies oxygen to bodily organs, and energizes the body.
Using Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit essential oil is utilized in blends of energy-boosting essential oils to pump up your mood, energy and mental clarity. This is especially great when you use it at the start of the day. It also helps you succeed over whatever emotional shifts you experience daily.
These essential oils blend well with grapefruit essential oil:
- Ylang ylang
- Tea tree
Learn more about grapefruit essential oil benefits.
Basil essential oil offers a fresh, herbaceous, and fragrant aroma. It also offers a wide variety of health benefits, being both an antibacterial and antiviral agent. This oil is definitely a must-have and can work well on its own, though it works best as a part of aromatherapy blends.
As an herb, basil can be found in many dishes in many cuisines around the world. It’s a flavorful herb that doesn’t just add dimension to a dish, but also helps improve digestion, support liver function, reduce inflammation, and even fight infections.
The Science of Basil Essential Oil
Is basil essential oil just as beneficial as the herb itself? Definitely. Basil essential oil can help improve respiratory issues, relieve nausea, reduce pain, relieve stress, and more.
If you’re down with a cold, basil oil can help you manage symptoms such as congestion, sinusitis, and coughing. The oil can help you feel a lot better in general, which can in turn give you the energy to focus on more productive endeavors.
Good health is important to maintaining energy. Basil essential oil can definitely help you by helping you protect yourself against illnesses and other conditions that can take a toll on you.
Using Basil Essential Oil
Some might find that basil essential oil can work fine on its own in aromatherapy, but others might prefer to blend it with other oils as well. Either way is fine, and you'll be able to enjoy the benefits of basil essential oil whether you use it on its own or not.
Basil oil can also work very well in projects such as soap-making. It can also be mixed with carrier oils to make a refreshing massage oil blend.
The following essential oils blend well with basil essential oil:
- Tea tree
- Ylang ylang
Learn more about basil essential oil benefits.
Spearmint essential oil has a variety of health benefits that can support overall health. It increases energy levels, improves mood, and enhances concentration. Its scent is so fresh and restorative that it’s a great essential oil to use whenever you’re experiencing mental and muscular stress.
The Science of Spearmint Essential Oil
Thus, spearmint essential oil can help relieve spasms, stress, and depression. It also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help you with other health issues.
Certain bacteria can cause certain health problems or issues, such as food poisoning. When the body gets sick, it spends energy fighting off the infection -- energy that you can otherwise use for your day-to-day activities. Thus, spearmint essential oil can help get rid of infections more quickly and help you get on your feet sooner.
Using Spearmint Essential Oil
Diffusing spearmint while studying can help reduce feelings of anxiety, while boosting concentration for a progressive study session. If you’re going to work or study late, use spearmint essential oil to prevent or reduce headaches, boost immunity, improve respiration, and lessen discomfort.
Spearmint essential oil blends well with these other essential oils:
- Tea tree
Learn more about spearmint essential oil benefits.
It's always a rule to consult a health care practitioner first before using any essential oils alongside with your medication or treatment.
For All Essential Oils
- Patch Testing: Make sure you do a patch test on your skin for sensitivity prior to using on more areas of your body or for a long term period. Make sure to do the patch test on your feet or forearm to ensure you don’t experience irritation like redness, burning, hives or allergic reactions. Keep the essential oil away from your eyes and the insides of your ears or nose.
- Pregnant or Nursing Women: These essential oils should be avoided by pregnant or breastfeeding women. They can have an impact on hormonal levels, muscle condition, or nerve functioning. It’s also not appropriate for anyone with epilepsy.
- Infants and Children: Keep out of reach from children. Avoid using the essential oils on infants and young children.
- Ingesting Essential Oils: Even though essential oils are made from all-natural sources, that doesn't mean that they're safe to ingest. Thus, you should avoid ingesting any essential oil.
- Dilution: Dilute the essential oil first before using on sensitive areas such as the face, neck, genital area, etc.
Particular Cautions for Each Essential Oil
- For rosemary essential oil: Avoid during pregnancy or if you have epilepsy. It may also cause health issues if you have high blood pressure.
- For lemon essential oil: Dilute lemon essential oil first with a carrier oil before using on sensitive areas such as the face, neck, genital area, etc. Do not use lemon oil near heat, flame, fire or sparks.
- For tangerine essential oil: Possible skin sensitivity can be caused by using tangerine oil. Do not apply it on your skin if you’ll be exposed to ultraviolet light or direct sunlight within 12 hours. Do not use tangerine essential oil near sparks, heat, flame or fire.
- For grapefruit essential oil: Causes photosensitivity. Avoid sun exposure for at least 12 hours after applying this essential oil on your skin. Apply sunscreen after using blends or formulas using grapefruit essential oil.
- For basil essential oil: Do a patch test on your skin for sensitivity prior to using on other areas of your body. Basil essential oil should be avoided by pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- For spearmint essential oil: Pregnant women should not use spearmint oil as it can cause miscarriages due to its emmenagogue properties.
How to Use Essential Oils for Energy and Focus
Are you ready to try out these energy-boosting essential oils in your daily life? If you’re wondering how you can take advantage of each essential oil’s benefits, here’s what you can do.
1. How to Use Rosemary Essential Oil
Aromatic Purposes: Diffuse or inhale whenever you need mental clarity, insight and expansion.
Room Spray: Add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to a spray bottle filled with distilled water. Shake well before use. Spritz in your room or space whenever you need an energetic boost.
2. How to Use Lemon Essential Oil
Focus and Concentration: Lemon essential oil can provide you with mental clarity and positive energy. Diffusing lemon oil in your office or home helps enhance concentration and alertness.
Meditative Aroma: For your spiritual and meditative sessions, diffuse lemon oil to bring peace in your thoughts and intellect.
Mood Lifter: Diffuse a few drops of lemon essential oil to uplift your spirit and get a happiness boost.
3. How to Use Tangerine Essential Oil
Uplift Mood and Energy: Put 1 - 2 drops of the oil on your palm and rub it. Cup over your nose and mouth for 30 seconds to get an instant lift. You can also diffuse it in your room.
Diffuse it anytime during the day, especially when you’re feeling stressed.
Creativity and Motivation: The aromatic compounds of this essential oil enter the body through your nasal passages and reach the brain’s limbic system; thus influencing vital actions such as emotions, desires and creativity. Diffuse tangerine oil in your favorite oil burner or diffuser whenever you need a little push in creative endeavors.
Energizing Bath: Add 2 -3 drops of tangerine oil to your bathwater. This makes a perfect soak at the start of the morning due to its encouraging aroma and revitalizing scent. It boosts your energy, increases blood circulation, supports the nervous system, and treats digestive problems.
If ever you need a good jumpstart for the day, add this essential oil to your bathtub.
Aromatherapy for Winter: Diffuse tangerine oil or use it as a massage with an oil carrier during colder months. It alleviates the “blues” and warms your spirit. It will promote a more upbeat and positive aura within you amidst cold and dark weather.
4. How to Use Grapefruit Essential Oil
In the Shower: Add a few drops of grapefruit oil to your shower or bath water to instantly rejuvenate yourself whenever you’re feeling low.
Aromatherapy: Pour a few drops of grapefruit essential oil to your diffuser whenever you need to get extra motivation to finish your work, studies or project.
Topical Application: Add a few drops of grapefruit oil to a cotton ball along with a dab of jojoba oil. Rub this blend to your neck and wrists to improve energy levels.
5. How to Use Basil Essential Oil
Mental Fitness: Mix a drop or two of basil essential oil with a carrier oil. Apply on your temples to enhance mental clarity
Topical Application: Add 1 drop of basil essential oil and 1 drop of rosehip oil to a small bowl. Rub this blend under your nose to help you wake up in the morning. Apply it on your shoulders and the base of your neck to maintain positive energy levels all throughout the day.
6. How to Use Spearmint Essential Oil
Brain Boost: Add 1 - 2 drops of spearmint oil to your diffuser. Pour in ¼ to ½ cup of distilled water to disperse the oil. Run the diffuser for 30 to 60 minutes to stimulate your brain and improve mental capacity.
Fatigue Buster: Add 2 - 3 drops of spearmint essential oil to 10 ml of carrier oil (jojoba, coconut, or fractionated coconut oil) and mix them well in a glass bottle. Apply 1 - 2 drops of this blend to your forehead, temples, back of neck, throat and chest to help you feel calm whenever you’re overly stressed.
You can also use this as a headache relief by massaging your temples with this dilution.
7. Aromatherapy Blends for Energy Boosting
Interested in making your own blends of energy-boosting essential oils? Here are some ideas on essential oil recipes you can make at home.
7.1. Energy Booster Blend
Do you feel easily tired or lethargic? Do you want to relieve yourself of fatigue? This can be your go-to blend for your oil diffuser.
- 3 drops of lemon essential oil
- 3 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 3 drops of basil essential oil
7.2. Smooth Lemon Boost
This aromatherapy blend packs the benefits of two essential oils to give you a refreshing boost anytime of the day. Diffuse the following to your oil burner, cool-air diffuser, or air purifier.
- 3 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops of lemon essential oil
7.3. Minty Rosemary Blend
Rosemary is a great pick-me-up essential oil for home and office use. With the addition of minty essential oils, you’ll get a mental and emotional boost after diffusing this in your space.
Add the following drops of essential oils to a diffuser:
- 7 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 2 drops of spearmint essential oil
- 2 drops of basil essential oil
7.4. Fatigue Away Massage Oil Blend
Massage this blend of energy-boosting essential oils on your neck, shoulders, upper chest, and back to calm and relax your senses.
- 6 drops of spearmint essential oil
- 5 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 4 drops of grapefruit essential oil
- 15 ml of carrier oil (jojoba, coconut, or fractionated coconut oil)
Instructions: Pour the carrier oil in a small bowl, then slowly add the essential oils. Pour the oil mixture into a dark glass bottle and shake well. Store in a cool, dry place.
If you’re looking for high-quality bottles to store and preserve your essential oil blends and recipes, check out Infinity Jars for the perfect solution.
We featured these essential oils as a way to help out stressed-out individuals find solace (and an energetic boost) from essential oils. If you’re always feeling lethargic, try complementing your diet, exercise or treatment plan with aromatherapy. You can also store your favorite oils or blends in small bottles so that you can use them if you have emergencies at work or while traveling.
If you easily get tired, take a whiff of an energy-boosting essential oil instead of reaching out for that caffeinated drink. Try these essential oils or oil blends for yourself and see the difference they make in your everyday life!
You can also find an all-in-one energy boosting pack here at Aroma Foundry. Our six-pack of essential oils for energy includes rosemary, lemon, tangerine, grapefruit, basil, and spearmint.
You can use these energy-boosting essential oils separately in their own applications, or mix two or more oils for energy-boosting blends. Go for these holistic wellness essential oils to improve your well-being and lifestyle!
- 11 Amazing Benefits Of Rosemary Oil | Organic Facts - https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-rosemary-oil.html
- 11 Reasons You Need A Bottle Of Grapefruit Essential Oil In Your Home | Natural Living Ideas - http://www.naturallivingideas.com/grapefruit-essential-oil-benefits-uses/
- 31 Great Uses for Spearmint Essential Oil | Organic Daily Post - https://organicdailypost.com/31-great-uses-for-spearmint-essential-oil/
- How Can I Use Rosemary To Increase My Energy Level? | Herbal Supplements - https://www.sharecare.com/health/herbal-supplements/how-rosemary-increase-energy-levels
- How Sniffing Rosemary Could Boost Your Brain Power. Julian Gavaghan - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2107260/How-sniffing-rosemary-boost-brain-power.html
- 11 Amazing Benefits Of Basil Essential Oil | Organic Facts - https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/basil-essential-oil.html
- Power Foods: Grapefruit | Whole Living Wellness - http://www.wholeliving.com/134028/power-foods-grapefruit
- Rosemary Mint Twist Essential Oil Blend. Modern Soapmaking - http://www.eocalc.com/blends/rosemary-mint-twist/
- Smoothly Lemon Essential Oil Blend | Eocalc - http://www.eocalc.com/blends/smoothly-lemon/
- Spearmint Oil - Benefits, Uses, and Applications Of Spearmint Oil | New Directions Aromatics Blog - https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/blog/products/all-about-spearmint-oil.html
- Tangerine Essential Oil | Ayurvedic Oils - http://ayurvedicoils.com/tag/ayurvedic-health-benefits-of-tangerine-essential-oil
- Uses for Basil Essential Oil: Stop Inflammation, Bacteria, & Mosquitoes | Dr. Ericz - https://drericz.com/uses-for-basil-essential-oil/
- Top 16 Best Essential Oils For Energy (and 5 Amazing Blends) | UpNature - https://www.up-nature.com/blogs/news/top-16-best-essential-oils-for-energy-and-5-amazing-blends