You can start your own healing and revitalizing journey at home with aromatherapy. You might also want to bring a small bottle or two of your favorite essential oil blend whenever you need an instant lift on-the-go. On this guide, you'll learn which essential oils give you a boost in energy levels whenever you need it.
- Essential Oils for Boosting Energy
- For All Essential Oils
- Particular Cautions for Each Essential Oil
- How to Use the Essential Oils
- How to Use Rosemary Essential Oil
- How to Use Lemon Essential Oil
- How to Use Tangerine Essential Oil
- How to Use Grapefruit Essential Oil
- How to Use Peppermint Essential Oil
- How To Use Spearmint Essential Oil
- Aromatherapy Blends for Energy Boosting
We live in a fast-paced world with all the hustle and bustle happening in our everyday lives. The consequences of living in a hyperactive world include experiencing a lot of stress, undergoing extreme work or study pressures, unhealthy coping habits, and many other factors that take its toll on our health. One of the ways to help you cope through these stressors and improve your health is through holistic healing modalities. Among these natural healing methods, which you can do in the comfort of your own home, is through the healing power of essential oils.
Essential oils contain natural aromatic compounds that help relieve stress, improve mental capacity, and boost energy levels. Every essential oil is holistic in a sense that it has a variety of mental, emotional, physical and spiritual benefits.
Here in Aroma Foundry, we believe how powerful essential oils can be to improve your overall health and lifestyle. In this guide, we feature six essential oils that can help improve energy levels naturally. The following essential oils have holistic therapeutic effects for the mind and body. These can help combat stress and enhance energy for you to succeed in life’s daily challenges.
Essential Oils for Boosting Energy
Here’s a list of the best essential oils for boosting your mood and energy level.
Rosemary has a stimulating, invigorating and refreshing aroma that will uplift you. It helps improve your mood and memory, which is why researchers have studied it for its brain boosting benefits. It is mainly used for cognitive function and brain health. The essential oil also supports circulation, improves immune system, relieves exhaustion, and lowers stress levels. If you need something to bring yourself back to an energetic state, use Rosemary essential oil aromatically or topically.
You can also use Rosemary essential oil to prevent being carried away by stress. A study released in 2007 confirmed that inhaling Rosemary for five minutes reduced cortisol in the body, thus decreasing the chances of experiencing chronic stress. The aromatherapeutic effect of Rosemary can also increase alertness for you to be more productive in your work or studies.
Blending with Other Essential Oils: Rosemary blends well with Basil, Frankincense, Sage, Thyme, Citronella, Chamomile, Lemongrass, Lavender, Peppermint and Eucalyptus essential oils.
Lemon is widely used to stimulate lymph drainage and rejuvenate energy. Breathing the scent of lemon essential oil also improves neurological activity that breaks down body fat. Lemon oil has calming properties (yet not a sedative) that can be effective in relieving exhaustion, mental fatigue, dizziness, nervousness, anxiety and tension.
Go for Lemon essential oil whenever you need to refresh your mind and eliminate negativity. If your office is filled with stressed out workers, use Lemon esential oil as a space refresher on your work area to increase concentration, alertness, and efficiency.
Blending with Other Essential Oils: Lemon blends well with other essential oils such as Geranium, Lavender, Neroli, Rose, Sandalwood, Tea Tree and Ylang-Ylang essential oils.
Tangerine essential oil has tonic and stomachic properties that can boost metabolism. It supports the entire process of digestion by stimulating the flow of digestive juices, aiding in the absorption of essential nutrients. It is also highly regarded as an aid for detoxification, which is the first step in purifying the body. It then leads to strengthening the immune system, improving mental clarity, and nurturing overall health. In Chinese Medicine, the Tangerine peel is believed to control, reconcile and stabilize the flow of energy or Qi of the body.
Just like its citrus cousins, Tangerine is known to uplift a person’s mood. It is also said to impact individual creativity. So whenever you feel stuck, overwhelmed, heavy-hearted, depressed, cranky or overworked, diffuse this Tangerine essential oil in your room or office for that instant pick-me-up!
Blending with Other Essential Oils: Tangerine blends especially well with Bergamot, Clary, Frankincense, Geranium, Grapefruit, Lavender, Lemon Oil, Wild Orange Oil, and Roman Chamomile essential oils
Grapefruit is rich in folate, which boosts energy levels and improve mental capacity. The fruit is also known to increase metabolism, burn fat, reduce bad cholesterol, and nourish your body with vitamins. Aromatically, it helps relieve adrenal fatigue, which is a common factor in feeling constantly lethargic.
It stimulates the nervous system, making you more alert and focused. It also improves blood and lymphatic circulation; which removes toxins, supplies oxygen to bodily organs, and energizes the body.
Grapefruit essential oil is utilized in essential oil blends to pump up your mood, energy and mental clarity - especially when you use it at the start of the day. It also helps you succeed over whatever emotional shifts you experience daily.
Note: Do not ingest Grapefruit essential oil or Grapefruit juice if you’re taking medication. Do take note that Grapefruit juice shouldn’t be taken alongside with antidepressants. A number of drugs have serious side effects when Grapefruit is ingested. Always consult your doctor before trying any essential oil products.
Blending with Other Essential Oils: Grapefruit blends well with Basil, Bergamot, Frankincense, Geranium, Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary, and Ylang Ylang essential oils.
Peppermint is an all-around essential oil that has various medicinal uses. It has an intense scent that can also be highly pleasant to the senses. It is also one of the most concentrated essential oils out there. Diluting it with an air purifier or oil diffuser would give out a fresh, minty and uplifting scent.
Peppermint oil stimulates the senses, enhances alertness, sharpens concentration and improves stamina. It is an excellent aid in boosting mental and physical vitality. It also helps fight fatigue caused by sluggish digestion and overeating.
The Journal of the International Society of Sport Nutrition has published the positive effects of Peppermint on exercise performance; and the results show improvement in the vitals of test subjects.
Blending with Other Essential Oils: Peppermint blends well with Cypress, Eucalyptus, Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper Berry, Lavender, Lemon, Marjoram, Oregano, Rosemary and Tea Tree essential oils.
Spearmint has a variety of health benefits that can support overall health. It increases energy levels, improves mood, and enhances concentration. Its scent is so fresh and restorative that it’s a great essential oil to use whenever you’re experiencing mental and muscular stress.
For aromatic purposes, it can help relieve spasms, stress, and depression. It also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help you with other health issues. Diffusing Spearmint while studying can help reduce feelings of anxiety, while boosting concentration for a progressive study session. If you’re going to work or study late, use Spearmint essential oil to prevent or reduce headaches, boost immunity, improve respiration, and lessen discomfort.
Blending with Other Essential Oils: Spearmint blends well with Basil, Eucalyptus Oil, Jasmine, Lavender , Peppermint and Rosemary essential oils.
Consult a health care practitioner first before using any essential oils alongside with your medication or treatment.
For All Essential Oils
- Patch Testing: Make sure you do a patch test on your skin for sensitivity prior to using on more areas of your body or for a long term period. Make sure to do the patch test on your feet or forearm to ensure you don’t experience irritation like redness, burning, hives or allergic reactions. Keep the essential oil away from your eyes and the insides of your ears or nose.
- Pregnant or Nursing Women: These essential oils should be avoided by pregnant or breastfeeding women as it can have an impact on hormonal levels, muscle condition, or nerve functioning. It’s also not appropriate for anyone with epilepsy.
- Infants and Children: Keep out of reach from children. Avoid using the essential oils on infants and young children.
- Cooking Recipes: Make sure that you’re only using pure, high quality, and therapeutic-grade essential oils in food recipes to ensure safety and efficacy. Do not use synthetically made essential oils or synthetic fragrances in cooking.
- Dilution: Dilute the essential oil first before using on sensitive areas such as the face, neck, genital area, etc.
Particular Cautions for Each Essential Oil
- For Rosemary Essential Oil: Avoid during pregnancy or if you have epilepsy. It may also cause health issues if you have high blood pressure.
- For Lemon Essential Oil: Dilute lemon essential oil first with a carrier oil before using on sensitive areas such as the face, neck, genital area, etc. Do not use lemon oil near heat, flame, fire or sparks.
- For Tangerine Essential OIl: Possible skin sensitivity can be caused by using Tangerine oil. Do not apply it on your skin if you’ll be exposed to ultraviolet light or direct sunlight within 12 hours. Do not use Tangerine essential oil near sparks, heat, flame or fire.
- For Grapefruit Essential Oil: Causes photosensitivity. Avoid sun exposure for at least 12 hours after applying this essential oil on your skin. Apply sunscreen after using blends or formulas using Grapefruit oil.
- For Peppermint Essential Oil: Avoid using near the eyes as it can cause the eyes to water. Peppermint can also decrease lactation in breastfeeding women.
- For Spearmint Essential Oil: Pregnant women should not use Spearmint oil as it can cause miscarriages due to it emmenagogue properties.
How to Use the Essential Oils
Are you ready to try out these essential oils in your daily life? If you’re wondering how you can take advantage of each essential oil’s benefits, here’s what you can do.
1. How to Use Rosemary Essential Oil
Aromatic Purposes: Diffuse or inhale whenever you need mental clarity, insight and expansion.
Room Spray: Add a few drops of Rosemary essential oil to a spray bottle filled with distilled water. Shake well before use. Spritz in your room or space whenever you need an energetic boost.
2. How to Use Lemon Essential Oil
Focus and Concentration: Lemon essential oil can provide you with mental clarity and positive energy. Diffusing lemon oil in your office helps enhance concentration and alertness. Diffuse it in your home too whenever children are studying, or if you want to stay focused on a task. You can also rub the oil on your hands and inhale it whenever you need a boost.
Meditative Aroma: For your spiritual and meditative sessions, diffuse Lemon oil to bring peace in your thoughts and intellect.
Mood Lifter: Diffuse a few drops of lemon essential oil to uplift your spirit and get a happiness boost.
3. How to Use Tangerine Essential Oil
Uplift Mood and Energy: Put 1 - 2 drops of the oil on your palm and rub it. Cup over your nose and mouth for 30 seconds to get an instant lift. You can also diffuse it in your room. Diffuse it anytime during the day, especially when you’re feeling stressed.
Creativity and Motivation: The aromatic compounds of this essential oil enter the body through your nasal passages and reach the brain’s limbic system; thus influencing vital actions such as emotions, desires and creativity. Diffuse Tangerine oil in your favorite oil burner or diffuser whenever you need a little push in creative endeavors.
Energizing Bath: Add 2 -3 drops of Tangerine oil to your bathwater. This makes a perfect soak at the start of the morning due to its encouraging aroma and revitalizing scent. It boosts your energy, increases blood circulation, supports the nervous system, and treats digestive problems. If ever you need a good jumpstart for the day, add this essential oil to your bathtub.
Aromatherapy for Winter: Diffuse Tangerine oil or use it as a massage with an oil carrier during colder months. It alleviates the “blues” and warms your spirit. It will promote a more upbeat and positive aura within you amidst cold and dark weather.
4. How to Use Grapefruit Essential Oil
In the Shower: Add a few drops of Grapefruit oil to your shower or bath water to instantly rejuvenate yourself whenever you’re feeling low.
Aromatherapy: Pour a few drops of Grapefruit essential oil to your diffuser whenever you need to get extra motivation to finish your work, studies or project.
Topical Application: Add a few drops of Grapefruit oil to a cotton ball along with a dab of Jojoba oil. Rub this blend to your neck and wrists to improve energy levels.
5. How to Use Peppermint Essential Oil
Refreshing room Spray: Mix Peppermint with distilled water in a spray bottle and spritz for a cooling effect.
Mental Fitness: Mix a drop or two of Peppermint essential oil with a carrier oil. Apply on your temples to enhance mental clarity
Topical Application: Add 1 drop of Peppermint essential oil and 1 drop of Rosehip oil to a small bowl. Rub this blend under your nose to help you wake up in the morning. Apply it on your shoulders and the base of your neck to maintain positive energy levels all throughout the day.
Inhalation: Inhale Peppermint oil directly from the bottle so that you will feel less lethargic, and also improve your energy levels.
6. How to Use Spearmint Essential Oil
Brain Boost: Add 1 - 2 drops of Spearmint oil to your diffuser. Pour in ¼ to ½ cup of distilled water to disperse the oil. Run the diffuser for 30 to 60 minutes to stimulate your brain and improve mental capacity.
Fatigue Buster: Add 2 - 3 drops of Spearmint essential oil to 10 ml of carrier oil (Jojoba, Coconut or Fractionated Coconut Oil) and mix them well in a glass bottle. Apply 1 - 2 drops of this blend to your forehead, temples, back of neck, throat and chest to help you feel calm whenever you’re overly stressed. You can also use this as a headache relief by massaging your temples with this dilution.
Inhalation: Inhale Spearmint oil from the bottle whenever you feel like fainting or lightheaded.
7. Aromatherapy Blends for Energy Boosting
Interested in making your own essential oil blends? Here are some ideas on essential oil recipes you can make at home.
7.1. Energy Booster Blend
Do you feel easily tired or lethargic? Do you want to relieve yourself of fatigue? This can be your go-to blend for your oil diffuser.
- Lemon: 3 drops
- Rosemary: 3 drops
- Peppermint: 3 drops
7.2. Smooth Lemon Boost
This aromatherapy blend packs the benefits of two essential oils to give you a refreshing boost anytime of the day. Diffuse the following to your oil burner, cool-air diffuser, or air purifier.
- Rosemary: 3 drops
- Lemon: 5 drops
7.3. Minty Rosemary Blend
Rosemary is a great pick-me-up essential oil for home and office use. With the addition of minty essential oils, you’ll get a mental and emotional boost after diffusing this in your space.
Add the following drops of essential oils to a diffuser:
- Rosemary: 7 drops
- Spearmint: 2 drops
- Peppermint: 2 drops
7.4. Fatigue Away Massage Oil Blend
Massage this blend on your neck, shoulders, upper chest, and back to calm and relax your senses.
- 6 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 5 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 4 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of Carrier Oil (Jojoba, Coconut, or Fractionated Coconut Oil)
Instructions: Pour the carrier oil in a small bowl, then slowly add the essential oils. Pour the oil mixture into a dark glass bottle and shake well. Store in a cool, dry place.
If you’re looking for high-quality bottles to store and preserve your essential oil blends and recipes, check out this shop for the perfect solution.
We featured these essential oils as a way to help out stressed-out individuals find healing (and an energetic boost) from essential oils. If you’re always feeling lethargic, try complementing your diet, exercise or treatment plan with aromatherapy. You can also store your favorite oils or blends in small bottles so that you can use them if you have emergencies at work or while traveling. If you easily get tired, take a whiff from an energy-boosting essential oil instead of reaching out for that caffeinated drink. Try these essential oils or oil blends for yourself and see the difference they make in your everyday life!
You can also find an all-in-one Energy Boosting pack here at Aroma Foundry. Our 6-Pack Energy Boost includes Rosemary, Lemon, Tangerine, Grapefruit, Peppermint and Spearmint. You can use these essential oils separately in their own applications, or mix two or more oils for energy-boosting blends. Go for these holistic wellness essential oils to improve your well-being and lifestyle!
- 11 Amazing Benefits Of Rosemary Oil | Organic Facts - https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-rosemary-oil.html
- 11 Reasons You Need A Bottle Of Grapefruit Essential Oil In Your Home | Natural Living Ideas - http://www.naturallivingideas.com/grapefruit-essential-oil-benefits-uses/
- 31 Great Uses for Spearmint Essential Oil | Organic Daily Post - https://organicdailypost.com/31-great-uses-for-spearmint-essential-oil/
- How Can I Use Rosemary To Increase My Energy Level? | Herbal Supplements - https://www.sharecare.com/health/herbal-supplements/how-rosemary-increase-energy-levels
- How Sniffing Rosemary Could Boost Your Brain Power. Julian Gavaghan - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2107260/How-sniffing-rosemary-boost-brain-power.html
- Peppermint Oil - Recipes, Uses & Benefits Of Peppermint Essential Oil | New Directions Aromatics Blog - https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/blog/recipes/discover-refreshing-ways-to-energize-with-peppermint.html
- Power Foods: Grapefruit | Whole Living Wellness - http://www.wholeliving.com/134028/power-foods-grapefruit
- Rosemary Mint Twist Essential Oil Blend. Modern Soapmaking - http://www.eocalc.com/blends/rosemary-mint-twist/
- Smoothly Lemon Essential Oil Blend | Eocalc - http://www.eocalc.com/blends/smoothly-lemon/
- Spearmint Oil - Benefits, Uses, and Applications Of Spearmint Oil | New Directions Aromatics Blog - https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/blog/products/all-about-spearmint-oil.html
- Tangerine Essential Oil | Ayurvedic Oils - http://ayurvedicoils.com/tag/ayurvedic-health-benefits-of-tangerine-essential-oil
- The Effects Of Peppermint on Exercise Performance. Abbas Meamarbash i- Ali Rajabi - https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-15
- Top 16 Best Essential Oils For Energy (and 5 Amazing Blends) | UpNature - https://www.up-nature.com/blogs/news/top-16-best-essential-oils-for-energy-and-5-amazing-blends