Creating a spa experience at home using invigorating and relaxing essential oils gets you creative and is truly fulfilling!
Even if you don’t have the time, energy or money to go to a spa, you can still reap the benefits of having a spa ritual at home using the multifunctional benefits of essential oils.
- Essential Oils for Home Spa Rituals
- For All Essential Oils
- Particular Cautions for Each Essential Oil
- How To Use the Essential Oils
- How to Use Citronella Essential Oil
- How to Use Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- How to Use Fir Essential Oil
- How to Use Lavender Essential Oil
- How to Use Lemon Essential Oil
- How To Use Rosemary Essential Oil
- Essential Oil Blends and Recipes for Home Spa Rituals
- Mixing or Blending Your Essential Oils
Essential oils have been used in small to high profile spas around the world. They are not only diffused to experience holistic benefits, but they are also added to topical applications such as skincare products, massage oils, and spa treatments.
Personal care is crucial nowadays, as it helps you recover from daily stresses and strengthens your overall being. Aromatherapy is one of those personal care methods that can liven up your mind, body and soul. Make the most out of the mental, emotional, physical and spiritual benefits of essential oils so that you can live a healthy lifestyle.
Essential Oils for Home Spa Rituals
Citronella has a variety of health benefits which are attributed to its antibacterial, antidepressant, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, deodorant, tonic, diuretic, fungicidal and stimulant properties. If you use this for your home spa treatments, you’ll experience benefits such as relief from anxiety, depression and stress. It also promotes feelings of hope and happiness with its refreshing scent. Use it whenever you have to disinfect, remove odor, eliminate toxins or relieve spasms.
Citronella essential oil is also considered a natural skincare remedy. It helps treat skin issues such as dermatitis, eczema, age spots, fungal infections, and acne. Consider adding Citronella to your skincare or home spa regimen for an overall stress-relieving and skin nourishing experience.
Blending with Other Essential Oils: Citronella essential oil blends well with Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Eucalyptus, Geranium, Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Rosemary and Tea Tree essential oils.
Eucalyptus essential oil is a potent oil that is known for its anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, decongestant, deodorant, antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It can help heal wounds, cuts, abrasions, bites and stings. It can also help relieve respiratory problems. It relieves muscle pain, as it is used in creams, massage oils, and therapy. Use it for your skin to help treat skin infections and speed up the healing process.
One way to use it for your home spa experience is to diffuse it in your oil diffuser to remove mental exhaustion. It has a refreshing and cooling effect that rejuvenates the mind, body and spirit. It is also effective as a complementary treatment for stress and mental disorders.
Blending with Other Essential Oils: Eucalyptus blends well with Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram, Geranium, Lavender, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Melissa and Lemon essential oils.
Fir (specifically Siberian Fir) works well with carrier oils. It has holistic health benefits in supporting the respiratory and immune system, improving emotional health, and soothing irritations.
Fir is a grounding essential oil that can assist you in staying balanced during difficult situations. It reduces your stress levels and anxiety. You can also dilute it with a carrier oil and massage irritated or tense areas of your body. Diffusing it at home or in the shower will improve breathing and promote feelings of wellness.
Blending with Other Essential Oils: Fir essential oil blends well with Bergamot, Cypress Frankincense, Geranium, Grapefruit, Hyssop, Lavender, Marjoram, Myrtle, Niaouli, Oregano, Palo Santo, Pine, Rockrose, Rosemary, Spikenard, Spruce, Tea Tree, Thyme and Vetiver essential oils.
It is highly recommended that you have a bottle of Lavender essential oil at home, as it becomes so handy in many scenarios. Lavender is great to use topically for almost any skin type. When mixed with argan oil or rosehip oil, it can greatly benefit and nourish aging skin. Lavender is commonly used in soaps, lotions and other infusions, which is why it’s a must-have for any beauty enthusiast at home.
Besides its mood-lifting and stress-relieving benefits in aromatic applications, Lavender has been used as an all-around essential oil for mental and emotional health. Researchers have also found that patients who were exposed to lavender scent had lower levels of anxiety compared to others who didn’t.
Blending with Other Essential Oils: Lavender blends well with Bergamot, Black Pepper, Cedarwood, Chamomile, Clary Sage, Clove, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper, Lemon, Lemongrass, Mandarin, Marjoram, Patchouli, Peppermint, Rose, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Thyme and Vetiver essential oils.
Lemon oil is also a holistic solution to skin problems due to its detoxifying, antiseptic and astringent properties. It helps in treating pimples and other skin disorders. For those with oily skin, lemon essential oil will reduce excessive oil production. People also use it as part of facial cleansers and cellulite creams. For people suffering with bunions, corns or calluses, you can soften those areas with lemon oil as well.
Lemon oil also gives a refreshing boost to your hair by making it strong, healthy and shiny. It can be used to eliminate dandruff and scalp irritations. Moreover, it can soften cuticles and restore your nails to a healthy condition.
For aromatherapy, Lemon has calming properties that are effective in relieving exhaustion, mental fatigue, dizziness, nervousness, anxiety and tension. Go for Lemon essential oil whenever you need to refresh your mind and eliminate negativity.
Blending with Other Essential Oils: Lemon blends well with other essential oils such as Geranium, Lavender, Neroli, Rose Oil, Sandalwood, Tea Tree and Ylang Ylang essential oils.
Rosemary has a stimulating, invigorating and refreshing aroma that will uplift you.
You can use Rosemary essential oil to prevent being carried away by stress. A study released in 2007 confirmed that inhaling Rosemary for five minutes reduced cortisol in the body, thus decreasing the chances of experiencing chronic stress. The essential oil also supports circulation, improves immune system, relieves exhaustion, and lowers stress levels.
Use Rosemary essential oil whenever you need to clear your mind of negativity. It helps release psychic and spiritual blocks that might have been hindering you in life.
Blending with Other Essential Oils: Rosemary blends well with Basil, Frankincense Oil, Sage, Thyme, Citronella, Chamomile, Lemongrass, Lavender, Peppermint and Eucalyptus essential oils.
Consult a health care practitioner first before using any essential oils alongside with your medication or treatment.
For All Essential Oils
- Patch Testing: Make sure you do a patch test on your skin for sensitivity prior to using on more areas of your body or for a long term period. Make sure to do the patch test on your feet or forearm to ensure you don’t experience irritation like redness, burning, hives or allergic reactions. Keep the essential oil away from your eyes and the insides of your ears or nose.
- Pregnant or Nursing Women: These essential oils should be avoided by pregnant or breastfeeding women as it can have an impact on hormonal levels, muscle condition, or nerve functioning. It’s also not appropriate for anyone with epilepsy.
- Infants and Children: Keep out of reach from children. Avoid using the essential oils on infants and young children.
- Cooking Recipes: Make sure that you’re only using pure, high quality, and therapeutic-grade essential oils in food recipes to ensure safety and efficacy. Do not use synthetically made essential oils or synthetic fragrances in cooking.
- Dilution: Dilute the essential oil first before using on sensitive areas such as the face, neck, genital area, and etc.
Particular Cautions for Each Essential Oil
How to Use the Essential Oils
Are you ready to try out these essential oils in your daily life? If you’re wondering how you can take advantage of each essential oil’s benefits, here’s what you can do.
1. How to Use Citronella Essential Oil
Aromatherapy: Diffuse in your home whenever you need to relax your mind and body. It can also reduce stress and promote better sleep.
Massage: Add a few drops of Citronella essential oil with a carrier oil. Massage on stressed out or tense areas of the body.
Refreshing Spray: Add a few drops of Citronella oil in a spray bottle filled with distilled water. Spritz over your room and bedsheets to bring in feelings of calm and relaxation. It is such a refreshing room spray that invites happy and peaceful vibes.
Detoxification: Add 1 - 2 drops of pure Citronella oil in a cup of hot water. Add raw honey and lemon to taste. It will help eliminate toxins, excess fat, uric acid and sodium.
Skincare: Add 1 - 2 drops of Citronella to coconut oil and massage it to affected areas on your face. You can also use 1 - 2 drops of this essential oil to your shower or facial wash. To get rid of blemishes, pour 1 drop of this oil to a clean cotton swab and dab on affected areas.
2. How to Use Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Aromatherapy: Add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil to your diffuser or to a hanging object to lift your spirit. It also improves breathing and clears your nasal passageways. Using this essential oil in aromatherapy gives you an energizing and rejuvenating experience.
Massage: Add 1 - 2 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil to a carrier oil as a massage blend. Apply to painful areas, sore joints, or aching muscles.
Hair Care: Add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil to olive or coconut oil. Massage this on your scalp and hair to give you an instant pick-me-up. It will heal an itchy scalp and get rid of dandruff.
Refreshing Room Spray: Add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil to a spray bottle filled with distilled water. Spritz over your room to gain sinus relief and also for spiritual lifting purposes. It can also clear out airborne bacteria in your space.
3. How to Use Fir Essential Oil
Inhalation: Inhale Fir essential oil directly from the bottle to gain emotional balance during stressful times.
Aromatherapy Diffuser: Add a few drops of this essential oil to your oil burner, cool-air diffuser or air purifier to promote feelings of wellness, improve breathing, and induce relaxation.
Skin Irritations: Dilute Fir essential oil with Fractionated Coconut Oil. Apply to irritated skin for a soothing effect.
In the Shower: Add a few drops of Fir essential oil to a shower melt for an invigorating home spa bath experience.
Massage Oil: Add a few drops to your favorite carrier oil and massage it to tensed muscles. This is a perfect massage oil to use after strenuous physical activity.
4. How to Use Lavender Essential Oil
Mental and Emotional Balance: Use aromatically to feel more focused and grounded. It can help improve concentration and mental clarity. Add 2 - 3 drops of Lavender essential oil to an air purifier, cool-air diffuser, or oil burner.
Topical Application: Mix a few drops of lavender oil with a carrier oil. Rub the oil blend behind your ears and wrists to promote emotional balance.
Lavender Sugar Scrub: Mix ¼ cup melted coconut oil and ¾ cup organic sugar. Add 10 drops of Lavender essential oil and blend everything well. Store in a glass jar and use whenever you need a nourishing scrub.
Lavender Honey Face Mask: This mask is a combination of the antibacterial and soothing properties of Lavender, plus the moisturizing and healing properties of honey. Combine 1 tablespoon of raw honey with 3 drops of Lavender oil in a small bowl. Apply this mask over your face and neck after cleansing. Leave on for 5 - 15 minutes and rinse with warm water.
5. How to Use Lemon Essential Oil
Meditative Aroma: For your spiritual and meditative sessions, diffuse Lemon essential oil to bring peace in your thoughts and intellect.
Mood Lifter: Diffuse a few drops of lemon essential oil to uplift your spirit and get a happiness boost.
Skin Care: Add Lemon oil to your regular facial cleanser to help remove dead skin cells and improve your skin complexion. You can also apply Lemon essential oil to hardened skin conditions such as bunions, corns and calluses. This will help soften the skin and naturally heal it.
Hair Care: Add a few drops of Lemon oil to a spray bottle filled with water. Spritz over your hair and get some sunshine. This will add natural highlights to your hair.
Nail Care: Apply Lemon oil to your nails to restore its natural health and soften cuticles.
6. How to Use Rosemary Essential Oil
Aromatic Purposes: Diffuse or inhale whenever you need mental clarity, insight and expansion.
Room Spray: Add a few drops of Rosemary essential oil to a spray bottle filled with distilled water. Shake well before use. Spritz in your room or space whenever you need an energetic boost.
7. Essential Oil Blends and Recipes for Home Spa Rituals
7.1. Smooth Lemon Boost
This aromatherapy blend packs the benefits of two essential oils to give you a refreshing boost anytime of the day. Diffuse the following to your oil burner, cool-air diffuser, or air purifier.
- Rosemary: 3 drops
- Lemon: 5 drops
7.2. Hair Spa Ritual Formula
Does your hair feel greasy? This may be due to the overproduction of oils from your sebaceous glands, which leaves your hair flat, limp and stringy. Lemon oil can reduce the excess sebum from your scalp. It can also help bring back the balance of oil production.
- 20 drops of Lemon essential oil
- ½ cup liquid castile soap
- 1 cup water
Instructions: Mix the liquid castile soap and water in a jar. Then add the drops of Lemon essential oi. Blend everything well and massage to hair and scalp. Rinse with water, or with the hair rinse recipe below.
Hair Rinse ingredients:
- 3 drops Lemon essential oil
- 3 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
Instructions: Add apple cider vinegar to water, then add the drops of lemon oil. Rinse over your hair. After which, thoroughly rinse your hair in the shower (preferably with warm water).
7.3. Rejuvenating Bath Salt Blend
Ready for that ultimate home spa experience? Make your own refreshing bath salt blend with the following.
- 8 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
- 8 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 4 drops Lavender essential oil
- 1 cup Epsom Salt
- ½ cup Dead Sea Salt
- ¼ cup Baking Soda
Instructions: Pour epsom salt in a mixing bowl and add the dead sea salt to it. Mix the salts well, and then add baking soda. Combine these ingredients well, and then add all of the essential oils. Make sure that the essential oils are well mixed and incorporated. Spoon this mixture to clean jars. Add ¼ to ½ cup of this salt mixture to a warm bath. Make sure that it’s completely dissolved to avoid slipping. Enjoy this invigorating bath that will relieve you from inflammation, congestion and sore muscles.
8. Mixing or Blending Your Essential Oils
You can definitely make your own blends at home, and be creative according to your signature scents. The rule of thumb is to make a 1:1 ratio on the essential oils that you’ll be blending. Try and test to see if you like the aroma of the resulting blends. From there, you can add more drops of a particular essential oil according to your preference. Check our “Blending with Other Essential Oils” portion on every essential oil profile above to see which essential oils you should blend together.
The easiest way to benefit from essential oil blends is to use them with a diffuser, or mix it with sea salt and filtered water for a refreshing room spray. You can also make your own perfumes using essential oil blends by mixing them in a glass roller bottle and adding your preferred carrier oil.
If you’re looking for high-quality bottles and containers to store your home spa oils and recipes, check out this shop for the perfect solution.
There’s a plethora of exciting home spa options you can do with two or more bottles of essential oils. Just by taking a whiff of an essential oil will improve your mental and emotional stability. Diffusing it in your room or entire home will give you a euphoric experience. Adding it to your home spa recipes will give you a luxurious time for your personal care session. Make the most out of essential oils for their refreshing and rejuvenating benefits!
You can also find a 6-Pack Home Spa Rituals here in Aroma Foundry. It includes Citronella, Eucalyptus, Fir, Lavender, Lemon and Rosemary essential oils which are perfect for home spa sessions. You can even store a little amount of these oils or oil blends in small bottles to have a mini spa experience while on-the-go!
- 11 Amazing Benefits Of Rosemary Oil | Organic Facts - https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-rosemary-oil.html
- 13 Surprising Benefits Of Lavender Essential Oil | Organic Facts - https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-lavender-essential-oil.html
- 13 Lemon Essential Oil Recipes| Nature’s Sunshine - http://blog.naturessunshine.com/en/13-lemon-essential-oil-recipes/
- 13 Surprising Benefits Of Lavender Essential Oil | Organic Facts - https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-lavender-essential-oil.html
- 15 Eucalyptus Oil Recipes, Uses & Benefits Of Eucalyptus Essential Oil | New Directions Aromatics - https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/blog/recipes/exhilarative-ways-to-use-eucalyptus-oil.html
- 15 Incredible Benefits Of Citronella Essential Oil | Organic Facts - https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-citronella-essential-oil.html
- 15 Wonderful Benefits Of Eucalyptus Oil | Organic Facts - https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-eucalyptus-essential-oil.html
- 17 Amazing Benefits & Uses Of Citronella (gandhatrina) Oil For Skin, Hair and Health. Nilankeeta Chowdhury - http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-citronella-oil-for-skin-hair-and-health/#gref
- 21 Lemon Oil Recipes - Uses & Benefits For Cleaning and Skin Care | New Directions Aromatics Blog - https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/blog/recipes/ways-to-cleanse-and-energize-with-lemon-oil.html
- 7 Simple Skin Care Recipes Using Lavender Essential Oil. Mindy BenkertI - http://simplepurebeauty.com/3151/7-simple-skin-care-recipes-using-lavender-essential-oil/
- 8 Reasons Citronella Essential Oil Should Be In Every Home | Natural Living Ideas http://www.naturallivingideas.com/citronella-essential-oil/
- How To Use Siberian Fir Essential Oil. Jenn Oldham - https://www.jennoldham.com/blog/2017/10/5/how-to-use-siberian-fir-essential-oil-benefits-and-uses
- Make Your Own Mini Lavender Lotion Bars For Dry Skin | One Good Thing By Jillee https://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2015/04/make-your-own-mini-lavender-lotion-bars-for-dry-skin.html
- Smoothly Lemon Essential Oil Blend | Eocalc - http://www.eocalc.com/blends/smoothly-lemon/