If you've ever seen a Christmas tree, you most likely know what a Fir tree is and what it looks like. Fir is also known as Abies and is a member of the pine family. What's even more fascinating is the oil that is extracted from this tree. Fir essential oil has existed for a long time but is uncommon, often unheard of and underrated for the benefits it brings. The oil carries the fragrance of pine wood and is often excluded from the list of popular essential oils. It may be unpopular to us, but the essential oil has existed in Ayurvedic medicine and even western medicine for ages!
Fir essential oil is extracted from the leaves of Fir trees by the standard process of steam distillation. Here are some interesting facts about Fir trees and the oil:
- Ancient Egyptians used to value this oil very highly, using it on their scalp for better health and improved hair growth.
- Native Americans believed that sleeping on pillows packed with Fir needles could help you attain better sleep.
- The resin from fir trees can be used to make turpentine. Turpentine has been used since the ages medicinally to fight wounds and help them heal faster. Turpentines are also used to treat scalp lice and as an ingredient in chest rubs.
- The needles of Fir tree are used to make a tea that has high vitamin C content. It's made by boiling the needles in water for 10 minutes which results in the production of a healthy and tasty drink!
The benefits are very real, which is why it's no surprise that the oil is still around and being used by people who understand how it can vastly benefit one's health and lifestyle.
Currently, the primary producers of Fir Essential oil are Germany, France, and Bulgaria. This is partly due to these countries having a large number of forests and also because of their high demand for essential oils in general. Fir trees are also found throughout North America, Central America, Asia, Europe and North Africa, usually in the mountainous regions.
Fir Oil is special because of the various aspects of health that it covers from providing pain, fighting infections to detoxifying the body and improving one's metabolism. There's definitely a lot more where that came from, and we're here to take a look at some of the great uses of Fir Essential Oil:
Prevents Infections: -
Fir Essential oil has both antibacterial and antimicrobial characteristics due to the presence of compounds like tricyclene, alpha-pinene, limonene, camphene, and myrcene. These compounds allow the oil to fight against any type of bacteria and furthermore prevent any infections from occurring. These characteristics make Fir oil perfect for use in first aid kits!
Fir and other such essential oils are so beneficial to personal health and hygiene that even a research has been published in the World Journal of Microbiology & Biotechnology in regards to their antimicrobial and antioxidant properties.
Aromatherapy is often mentioned in the same breath as essential oils, which is why it's no surprise that Fir essential oil is known for its aromatherapeutic benefits. For starters, the oil has a relaxing effect on the person inhaling its fragrance. For city dwellers, the daily life can be stressful, and due to time constraints, it's hard to find activities that can help you calm down and chill out. Using Fir oil via aromatherapy may be the perfect and most accessible solution to help you fight stress and give you back all your lost energy!
To have any types of body aches or muscular pain isn't really a great feeling. It's actually pretty horrible and may be the reason why you're unable to sleep. Sure you could bust out your box of over-the-counter pain medication, but do you really want to pump your body with unknown chemicals for temporary relief? The answer SHOULD be no, especially with so many natural solutions that exist around us.
To get rid of body or muscle aches, just mix in Fir essential oil with a massaging oil or lotion and apply it topically on the affected areas. The oil will relieve you of your pain, help in any muscle recovery and also speed up the healing process. This solution is completely natural and brings no side effects when used. Isn't that amazing?
Helps Fight Cancer: -
Cancer is a horrible, traumatizing and deadly disease. Whether you or someone close to you is going through it, it's devastating for both parties. In a study published in the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, Fir Essential Oil was found to be active against cancerous tumors. According to the study, the use of the oil led to a decrease in cellular glutathione content and an increase in reactive oxygen species production which makes the oil a promising solution to potentially fighting cancer.
Detoxifying Agent: -
Fir Essential Oil can help you detoxify your body. By stimulating your liver functions and inducing sweat, the oil helps to get rid of toxins and allow the cleansing of your body. You'll feel revitalized by using the oil!
Boosts Your Metabolism: -
Fir Essential Oil acts as a stimulant and boosts up your metabolism and makes your body active with an increased heart rate and even digestive rate. It pumps up your body with the energy you need to lead an active and productive lifestyle.
Cleaning Agent: -
When we are cleaning up our house, we often depend on products like Windex for the job. Such products definitely get the work done but contain a bunch of chemicals and do not have any natural smells. It's all artificial! Also, we have to consider the fact that every time you clean a surface with these products; you are physically coming into contact with random and unknown chemicals which may be bad for you in the long run.
Why not switch to a natural alternative?
Fir Essential Oil is a great cleaning agent. If you plan on making your very own cleaner, just add a few drops of the oil and clean away. Fir Essential Oil acts as a disinfectant and therefore will not only leave your home clean and germ-free, but it'll also cover the environment around you with the beautiful fragrances of pine forests!
To make a great cleaner with Fir Essential Oil, mix the following together:
- A gallon of warm water
- 1/8 cup of white vinegar
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- 8 drops of Fir Essential Oil
Once you mix these ingredients together, your cleaning agent is good to go and ready to be applied where you desire. If you happen to use this to clean the floor in your house, this cleaner will remove all the germs and make your house smell great!
Relieves Respiratory Issues: -
If you happen to have caught a cold, have a cough you can't get rid of or have a sore throat. Worry not; Fir Essential Oil is the solution to your problems! According to a study published in the Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition, Fir Oil is extremely beneficial in relieving respiratory issues that tag along with common colds and flu.
All you'll need to do is set up Fir Essential Oil with a diffuser or inhale it and let it work wonders for you. The oil will have an anti-inflammatory effect on your throat and bronchial area and help you get rid of any excess mucus easily.
A Natural Deodorant: -
We all want to smell good, whether we're going to a party, to the office for work or just after a day of heavy workouts. We depend on store-bought deodorants that stop us from sweating. But with better and purer alternatives like Fir Essential Oil, why not go natural?
It's not just the fragrance of the oil that makes it a great deodorant, but also the antibacterial properties that allow it to reduce any bacteria that causes body odor. Using the oil, you'll smell like a pine forest which is an amazing smell to possess!
Helps with Broken Bones: -
If you're dealing with broken bones, applying Fir Essential Oil topically on the affected areas can help with bone repair and also speed up the healing process. Remember to dilute Fir Oil with a carrier oil before applying it on your skin.
Fir Essential Oil is also a natural treatment for osteoporosis if it is maintained along with a good diet and exercise. Oils like Fir can help increase bone density.
Wait, there's more. Here are a few of the benefits of Fir Essential Oil that we haven't mentioned above:
- The essential oil helps relieve arthritis pain
- It's great for treating bronchitis
- It can calm down rheumatic symptoms
- It's also a remedy for sinusitis
- It can help reduce feelings of fatigue
There are multiple ways you can use Fir Essential Oil. You can add a few drops of the oil into an infuser for the purpose of aromatherapy and respiratory benefits. To deeply clean your skin, get rid of muscle/joint pains you may add the oil to your bath. You could also mix the oil with a carrier oil and use it as an antiseptic or a massage oil. You could also blend it in with other essential oils such as Tangerine Essential Oil, Lemon Essential Oil, Cedarwood Essential Oil and Peppermint Essential Oil to make your own air freshener, floor cleaner or to use in aromatherapy!
Before you go ahead and use Fir Essential Oil, there are some precautions that you do need to take. The precautions are as follows:
- Never use undiluted Fir essential oil on your skin as it may cause irritations. Just to be safe, dilute Fir oil with a carrier oil and apply to an insensitive part of your skin as a test. If there are no problems or irritations, you can proceed to apply the diluted oil on your affect areas. You can use coconut oil to dilute Fir Essential Oil in a 1:1 ratio.
- Make sure that Fir Essential Oil never comes in contact with your eyes.
- You must keep the oil out of reach of children at all times. When used on a child, the application must be supervised by a doctor or an adult.
- If you are pregnant, only use Fir essential oil under the guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner.
- Perform an allergy test before using the oil.
- Fir Essential must not be ingested under any circumstances.
There's no doubt about the effectiveness of essential oils when it comes to providing solutions to health problems. Fir Essential Oil is no different. It's a great oil that's has been a natural solution to physical and mental health issues since Ancient Egyptian times. The wide range of uses and benefits are surprising to us because we are more used to resorting to pharmacies or superstores for our choice of drugs or antidotes.
Fir Essential Oil can be used in soaps, lotions or with other oils. It can also be used in aromatherapy. This highlights the fact that Fir Oil is far from a one-sided solution and is an all-rounder medicinally. The oil provides benefits towards physical health such as relief to body or muscle pains, stimulating the metabolism, helps in fighting cancer, prevents infections and much more. It also covers various mental health issues such as relieving stress, relaxing the mind and boosting one's mood. The various solutions to the various problems of the mind and the body are what make Fir Essential Oil so special.
In our day to day lives, we often resort to artificial solutions due to lack of time and research. If we were all more aware of the positive effects of such essential oils, we would probably be integrating oils like Fir Essential Oil in our everyday lives. This oil promotes better health for the mind, body, and soul!
- "Abies sibirica" Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abies_sibirica.
- “7 Fir Needle Essential Oil Uses” Healthy Focus, https://healthyfocus.org/7-fir-needle-essential-oil-uses/.
- “White Fir Essential Oil: Uses, Benefits, and Precautions” Sustainable Baby Steps, http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/white-fir-essential-oil.html.
- “How to Use Fir Needle Essential Oils to Heal the Body” Dr. Eric Z, http://drericz.com/more-than-a-christmas-scent-how-to-use-fir-needle-essential-oils-to-heal-the-body/.
- “5 Amazing Benefits Of Fir Needle Essential Oil” Organic Facts, https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/fir-needle-essential-oil.html.
- “Fir Needle Essential Oil — Fight Cancer, Infections & Even Odor” Dr. Axe, https://draxe.com/fir-needle-essential-oil/.