Tangerine is a favorite essential oil of DIY enthusiasts due to its invigorating scent and versatile applications. Learn more on how you can achieve better health and wellness through Tangerine in this guide.
- Brief History
- Benefits and Uses
- Purifies the Blood
- Helps in Proper Digestion
- Creative Pursuits
- Calming Effect
- Boosts Metabolism
- Detoxifying Agent
- Other Health Benefits
Brief History of Tangerine Essential Oil
Tangerines have been grown for over 3,000 years in Japan, China and Djibouti. Its name comes from a place called Tangier in Morocco, which is the port where the first tangerines arrived in Europe during the 1800s.
Ayurvedic medicine calls Tangerine as “Santra Sal” that is highly regarded as a natural detoxifying agent. Detoxification is the first step in purifying the body, which leads to strengthening the immune system, improving mental clarity, and nurturing overall health.
In Chinese Medicine, the Tangerine peel is called “Chen Pi” and it is highly used in treating digestive disorders such as stomach upset, diarrhea, indigestion and vomiting. The Tangerine peel is also believed to control, reconcile and stabilize the flow of energy or Qi of the body.
Benefits and Uses of Tangerine Essential Oil
Tangerine essential oil can be used for a variety of purposes. It has multiple health benefits, and you can use it for several home applications. Here’s a list of benefits and uses that make Tangerine oil the next best thing in your home.
Tangerine essential oil contains naturally-occurring components which kill bacteria and prevent them from spreading. The essential oil can be applied to open wounds and taken orally to support the healing process of the body.
Its antiseptic properties also help treat dandruff, dry scalp and other scalp infections.
The term ‘cytophylactic’ means the ability to stimulate the generation of new cells, which aid in preserving the skin’s health. Tangerine is one of the most common cytophylactic essential oils out there. It helps generate new cells and recycle cellular material in the body. As a result, it helps repair or heal the regular wear and tear, or any outstanding damage you experience physically. This oil also promotes a healthy growth within your body.
So if you have scars and stretch marks, add Tangerine essential oil to your lotions or creams to help heal skin imperfections.
Tangerine soothes all types of inflammation and hyperactivity in the body. It is mostly beneficial for your circulatory, respiratory, digestive, nervous and excretory systems. Whenever you have a fever, Tangerine essential oil can sedate inflammation. It is also used to reduce impulsive responses, anger and depression. It also prevents the intrusion of poisonous substances from the bloodstream. Tangerine can help reduce stress, anxiety, convulsions, and allergies.
4. Purifies the Blood
Tangerine is considered a powerful depurative, which purifies your blood and promotes better circulation. It helps in detoxifying your body from unwanted substances such as pollutants, excess salt, and uric acid through your urine, excretory process, or sweat. It also increases the oxygen-retaining capacity of your body’s red blood cells, thus purifying and refreshing the blood.
5. Helps in Proper Digestion
Using Tangerine essential oil will help maintain a proper flow of digestive juices. It also maintains the right balance between bile and acid. It can help treat any wounds in the stomach. If ever you need to soothe and provide inflammation relief to your stomach, go for this wonder oil. Your stomach will be in top condition with the use of Tangerine.
6. Creative Pursuits
Just like its citrus cousins, Tangerine is known to uplift a person’s mood. It is also said to impact individual creativity. It helps you connect to your inner child and bring out spontaneous creativeness. You’ll feel happier and more playful, thus getting you out of your head and be light-hearted. So whenever you feel stuck, overwhelmed, heavy-hearted, depressed, cranky or overworked, diffuse this essential oil in your room or office for that instant pick-me-up!
7. Calming Effect
Tangerine essential oil also soothes irritated nerves, as it works as a relaxing agent. It is a sedative that relieves nervousness, anxiety and depression. You’ll feel a release from tension and emotional imbalances while using this essential oil. You can also use Tangerine oil to promote healthy sleeping patterns.
9. Detoxifying Agent
Tangerine oil facilitates in the removal of toxic substances and other impurities in the body. As the body becomes free from toxins, this becomes the base for optimum health. Use Tangerine oil regularly to effectively detoxify your organs. We tell you how you can use Tangerine oil below.
10. Other Health Benefits
Tangerine essential oil is also known to aid in bringing relief to health issues such as breathing problems, severe pain, spasms, muscular cramps, convulsions, spasmodic cholera, asthma and severe coughs.
How To Use Tangerine Essential Oil
1. Pastries: Add 2 - 3 drops as a flavoring for cakes and cookies.
2. Beverages: Add 1 - 2 drops of Tangerine oil to water, lemonade, teas or smoothies for flavoring and digestive benefits.
3. Uplifting Mood and Energy: Put 1 - 2 drops of the oil on your palm and rub it. Cup over your nose and mouth for 30 seconds to get an instant lift. You can also diffuse it in your room. Diffuse it anytime during the day, especially when you’re feeling stressed.
4. Massage Oil: Mix a few drops of Tangerine essential oil with fractionated coconut oil. Apply to abdomen or flex points to calm your senses.
5. Diffusers, Burners or Vaporizers: Add a few drops to your preferred oil diffuser to alleviate depression, lessen stress, induce relaxation or pacify the nervous system. You can also use Tangerine oil to boost your digestive mechanism, calm the respiratory system, and promote peaceful sleep.
6. Creativity and Motivation: The aromatic compounds of this essential oil enter the body through your nasal passages and reach the brain’s limbic system; thus influencing vital actions such as emotions, desires and creativity. Diffuse Tangerine oil in your favorite oil burner or diffuser whenever you need a little push in creative endeavors.
7. Energizing Bath: Add 2 -3 drops of Tangerine oil to your bathwater. This makes a perfect soak at the start of the morning due to its encouraging aroma and revitalizing scent. It boosts your energy, increases blood circulation, supports the nervous system, and treats digestive problems. If ever you need a good jumpstart for the day, add this essential oil to your bathtub.
8. Antiseptic Agent: Tangerine oil is a mild essential that can be directly applied to burns, sores, wounds and cuts. Apply a few drops of this essential oil on the effective areas. If your skin is sensitive, mix a 2 - 3 drops of this oil with your preferred carrier oil and apply it on your skin. You can also mix it with your skin care lotion or cream to reduce swelling and redness, prevent the growth of bacteria, and speed up the recovery process of your skin.
9. Skin Imperfections: Tangerine oil has cytophylactic properties that can treat damaged tissues and promote the production of new cells. Add a few drops to your lotion or cream to treat stretch marks, scars, acne and etc.
10. Aromatherapy for Winter: Diffuse Tangerine oil or use it as a massage with an oil carrier during colder months. It alleviates the “blues” and warms your spirit. It will promote a more upbeat and positive aura within you amidst cold and dark weather.
11. Restful Sleep: Put one drop of Tangerine oil and one drop of Lavender oil on a cotton ball or handkerchief. Put this in your pillowcase to promote a good night’s sleep.
12. Cleaning Agent: Add a few drops of Tangerine essential oil to your homemade cleaning spray and spritz over surfaces. It is a cleansing and purifying agent that will leave your home fresh and clean. This can also be used to freshen up garbage cans and damp places at home.
13. Facial Cleanser: Add 1 - 2 drops of Tangerine oil to a gentle facial cleanser to enhance cleansing and beautify your skin.
14. Refresh and Deodorize: Add 2 - 3 drops on a cotton ball and put this on your dresser drawers or car air vents as a refreshing and deodorizing solution.
Tangerine Essential Oil Precautions
Before you go ahead and indulge in the benefits of Tangerine oil, here are a few precautions that you should take:
1. Skin Sensitivity: Possible skin sensitivity can be caused by using Tangerine oil. Do not apply it on your skin if you’ll be exposed to ultraviolet light or direct sunlight within 12 hours.
2. Medical Conditions: If pregnant or under doctor’s supervision, consult a healthcare practitioner first before using this essential oil.
3. Hazards: Do not use Tangerine essential oil near sparks, heat, flame or fire.
4. Infants and Children: Keep out of reach from children. Avoid using Tangerine oil on infants and young children.
5. Dilution: Dilute the essential oil first before using on sensitive areas such as the face, neck, genital area, and etc.
6. Blending with other Essential Oils: Tangerine blends especially well with Bergamot, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Geranium, Grapefruit, Lavender, Lemon, Wild Orange, and Roman Chamomile essential oils.
Tangerine Essential Oil Recipes
Here are some great Tangerine oil recipes you should try. The following includes health remedies, aromatherapy blends, skincare and so much more.
Citrus oils are truly helpful in boosting your mood and energy. Drop the following essential oils in your diffuser whenever you need something uplifting.
- Tangerine: 3 - 4 drops
- Spearmint: 3 - 4 drops
- Lemongrass: 3 - 4 drops
Using this perfume will make you feel like you just came out of a secret garden. The essential oils in this recipe are known for their calming aroma and exquisite scent.
- 12 drops of Tangerine essential oil
- 9 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 9 drops Clary Sage essential oil
- 3 drops Bergamot essential oil
- 3 drops Ylang-Ylang essential oil
- Carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil or other oils)
Instructions: Combine all of the essential oils in a 10 ml roller bottle. Gently swish the oils to blend them well together. Top with fractionated coconut oil or your preferred carrier oil. Cap the bottle and roll with your hands to blend everything well. Apply this perfume to your pulse points for an elegant and sophisticated scent.
This natural and homemade body scrub will help you get rid of dead skin cells, plus give you a refreshing feeling after a bath.
- 10 drops of Tangerine essential oil
- 10 drops Spearmint essential oil
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
Instructions: Mix brown sugar and coconut oil in a glass container. Then add the required amount of essential oils. Blend everything well in the airtight glass container. Use twice a week for best results.
Add the following drops of essential oils to your diffuser or air purifier at home to cleanse the air of impurities. This blend is also wonderfully uplifting!
- Tangerine: 4 drops
- Tea Tree: 2 drops
- Lemon: 2 drops
This fresh and citrusy blend gives you a refreshing start to the day, or after any hurdles you recently faced. Add the following essential oils to your diffuser.
- Tangerine: 3 drops
- Lemongrass: 2 drops
You’ll be amazed as to how effective this cleaning solution is in turning your cookware back to their pristine condition. Make sure you use gloves while using this solution.
- 10 drops Tangerine, Orange and Grapefruit essential oils.
- ¼ cup Baking Soda
- ⅓ cup 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
- Wash Cloth
- Cleaning Gloves
Instructions: Put on your gloves and mix the ingredients in a stainless steel or glass bowl. Mix it all up to form a paste. If you need to thicken it, add a little more baking soda. Apply the paste to baking sheets, pots, pans and etc. Use a washcloth to press the paste into the crusty or grimy areas of the pan. Apply more of the paste as needed. Wipe away the excess paste and rinse it under cold running water. There you go! Your kitchenware are good as new!
Add the following essential oils to your oil diffuser, burner or vaporizer to induce a romantic mood in your space.
- Tangerine: 6 drops
- Ylang-Ylang: 7 drops
- Sandalwood: 7 drops
Looking for a way to rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit? You can use this spa blend in your bath for that ultimate staycation treat at home.
- 2 drops of Tangerine essential oil
- 2 drops Grapefruit oil
- 3 drops of Melissa essential oil
- 4 drops of Cedarwood essential oil
- 4 drops of Marjoram essential oil
- 1 teaspoon Fractionated Coconut Oil
- Optional: Epsom Salt
Instructions: Close the windows of your bathroom to prevent oil vapors from escaping. Fill your bathtub with warm water. Then dissolve 1 cup of Epsom salt in the water.
After that, dilute the required essential oils with fractionated coconut oil. Then pour the blend into the water. Swirl the water around to disperse the oils. The essential oils will evaporate quickly, so soak in this bath immediately. Enjoy this luxurious bath for at least 20 minutes.
This homemade recipe will help control your skin’s excessive sebum production. It also leaves a refreshing feel with its blend of nourishing essential oils.
- 5 drops of Tangerine essential oil
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of Geranium essential oil
- 1 tablespoon Witch Hazel
- Pure Water
Instructions: Mix the above ingredients in a bowl, and add enough water to make 8 ounces. Use this as a refreshing wash or rinse for your face after cleansing and before moisturizing.
This oily skin moisturizer is the perfect next-step routine after using the oily skin toner above. Use this as a nighttime moisturizer if you have oily to combination skin.
- 10 drops of Tangerine essential oil
- 10 drops Petitgrain essential oil
- 10 drops Lemon essential oil
- 2 tablespoons Jojoba oil
Instructions: Mix all of the ingredients well and store in an airtight container. Wash your face thoroughly before using this. Apply and massage evenly all over you face and neck. For best results, use every night to rejuvenate your skin.
Feeling under the weather or want to chase the blues away? Use this essential oil blend in your diffuser as a great pick-me-up! This blend soothes emotional stress, relieves grief, and promotes happiness.
- Tangerine: 3 drops
- Bergamot: 2 drops
- Frankincense: 2 drops
Having your own homemade hand sanitizer really comes in “handy” whenever you’re on-the-go or eating out. You can also make as much as you want with this cost-efficient recipe.
- 10 drops of Tangerine essential oil
- 8 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 2 fluid ounces Aloe Vera Gel
- 2-ounce glass lotion pump bottle
Instructions:Add all of the ingredients in a glass bottle. Shake well to blend all of the ingredients together. Squirt on your hands and rub them together for an instant clean.
Need an uplifting blend during your meditation sessions, or simply want to awaken your senses? Use this blend on your oil diffuser for an enlightening and enriching time at home.
- Tangerine: 3 drops
- Sandalwood: 1 drop
- Cardamom: 1 drop
Diffuse this blend at home whenever you or a loved one is going through tough times. You can also use this with an aromatherapy inhaler.
- Tangerine: 5 drops
- Lavender: 4 drops
- Cypress: 3 drops
- Cedarwood: 3 drops
This aromatherapy blend will freshen up the air in your space and enriches personal well-being. Add the following drops of essential oil to your diffuser, burner or air purifier.
- Tangerine: 3 drops
- Cedarwood: 2 drops
- Basil: 1 drop
Check out a variety of essential oils you can use in these recipes here in Our Shop
If you’re looking for convenient and long-lasting bottles to contain your essential oil blends and recipes, check out this shop for the perfect solution.
Tangerine essential oil has a variety of mental, emotional, physical and spiritual benefits that make it a go-to essential oil in traditional and modern applications. There’s a lot to love about this citrus wonder, which makes it a must-have in every home. You can use it for medicinal, culinary or aromatic purposes, which makes every bottle of this essential oil truly worth it. Having this essential oil at home is an affordable and effective solution to common problems, or if you want to simply create a joyful atmosphere wherever you are.
Use Tangerine oil for your early morning ritual to get a good jumpstart for the day. Use it whenever you need to detox, relieve respiratory problems, enhance flavor in recipes, or get a boost at work. You can also blend it with other essential oils for added benefits.
- 5 Tangerine Essential Oil Diffuser Blends. Chantal Bernard - http://www.paintedteacup.com/tangerine-essential-oil-diffuser-blends/
- 7 Incredible Benefits Of Tangerine Essential Oil | Organic Facts - https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-tangerine-essential-oil.html
- Burnt Kitchen Cookware Cleaner Using Essential Oils. Beth K - https://www.recipeswithessentialoils.com/burnt-kitchen-cookware-cleaner-using-essential-oils/
- Cytophylactic Properties Of Essential Oils | Jo’s Health Corner - http://joshealthcorner.blogspot.com/2013/03/cytophylactic-properties-of-essential.html
- Getting To Know Your Oils - Tangerine Essential Oil | Recipes with Essential Oils - https://www.recipeswithessentialoils.com/getting-know-oils-tangerine/
- Tangerine Essential Oil | Ayurvedic Oils - http://ayurvedicoils.com/tag/ayurvedic-health-benefits-of-tangerine-essential-oil
- Tangerine Essential Oil: Uses, Benefits, and Precautions | Sustainable Baby Steps - http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/tangerine-essential-oil.html
- Tangerine Essential Oil Uses, Benefits and Recipes - Free Guide. Jennifer Lane - https://www.lovingessentialoils.com/blogs/essential-oil-tips/tangerine-essential-oil-uses-benefits-and-recipes-free-guide
- What is Tangerine Oil Good For? | Mercola - https://articles.mercola.com/herbal-oils/tangerine-oil.aspx